Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Assignment 3 : Birthday Card

This is my assignment 3 which is the Birthday Card. The below is the description of my birthday card and the process of my birthday card.

DESCRIPTION of my Birthday Card:

Firstly, I want to explain a bit of my Birthday Card. Why I will choose the reference card from what Dr Ken gave us? This is because it contain the culture of Chinese. In my opinion, I think Birthday is a very happy day no matter for who of for which races. So, my birthday card is full of cheerful colors like red, blue, green and lots more. Although there is still black in my birthday card. I put black as the back ground just to show the contrast so that people will concentrate on the greeting. Normally, Chinese people says red bring happiness and good luck to them so my birthday card have the red as my main color. However, in my birthday cards I have the peach blossom which means happiness in Chinese culture. There are also 4 red packets in my birthday card. This is because normally when I birthday, my parent will give me a red packet and greets me. So, I wanted to share this to the others so I put it in my birthday card. Meanwhile, the flying horse which is the paper cutting is also one of the culture of Chinese. Normally, this kind of cuttings have their own meaning. For example, the horse which bring happiness and no matter how far is the distance between each other. Besides that, horse is also one of the Chinese Zodiac and I'm one of the people which born in Horse year. However, I still place a Birthday cake in my card because I think that nowadays everyone celebrate birthday with a birthday cake. Besides that, I put the stars in the cards not only for decoration but it have another purpose. The colors of the stars shows that different races nad different cultures in Malaysia which unite together. Moreover, the white lines show that the flying horse is coming and to blow away those bad lucks and bad things. This is the message and ideas i want to show in my Birthday Card; not only greeting but wishing too.

This is how my final Birthday Card look like:



The below are the process of creating my Birthday Card for my assignment 3:

At first, I use the rectangle tool and create a rectangle. The first one I put it with red color while the another one I do it by using the rounded rectangle tool and fill it with pink color. However, I use the page tool so that my picture won't gone out of the space i wanted.




Then, I used the brush tool to draw the lines which brown and white in color. I used the dry brush 2 to create those lines. Meanwhile, I create 4 cirlce by using the ecillispe tool and drop the blur effects on 4 of them. However, I place it behind the brown lines. I drop the effects of blur on the white lines too.





Next, I used the rectangle tool to draw 4 rectanlges which red in color. Then, i use the dry brush 1 to draw inside the rectangles. That rectangles is the red packets which i mention it in the description. I drew 4 small rectangles and place it inside the red rectangles. I group up the whole things and bring it to the front.





After that, I used the symbol sprayer tool. I spayed a few peach blossom flowers on the brown lines and sprayed some peach blossom leaves. This is how it look like in the picture.






Next, I use the pen tool to trace the space and fill it with blue color then I adjusted the gradient of the color by using the gradient tool. Then, I sprayed a few clouds and drew the waves by using the spiral tool. After that, I colored it with greenish blue and light blue to represent the color of sea waves. I insert gradient into the waves which is the radial gradient. Besides that, I duplicate the oval shape and selected the waves, white lines, clouds and the background then I mask clipping it and drop shadows into the picture. The below picture is how it look like.



I traced the flying horse by using pen tool which is the paper cutting that show the Chinese culture. Then I fill it with red colors. The horse, I used the different layers so that I can insert the white color things into the horse. After that, I undo the mask clipping and place the paper cutting horse in front of the picture then mask clipping it together with the background.



Follow up, I measured the whole square by using the ruler tool so that I can put another rectangle beside the first rectangle and the main purpose is don't want it to run out of scales. Then, I drew another 2 rectanlges while 1 is black in color and another one is with red and pink color. I used the gradient tool to adjust the gradient of the pink and red color rectangle. Then, I used this few tools on the red rectangle. The tools are warp tool, twirl tool, pucker tool, bloat tool, scallop tool, crystallize tool and wrinkle tool. Then, I just move it to the front and group both together.





After that, I used the arc tool to drew 2 lines and used the type tool to type the words " HAPPY BIRTHDAY which is black and white outlines. Then, I also type a few greatings which is white in color. Meanwhile, I insert the text effects so it look like the below picture. After that, I used the spayer tool again. I sprayed the symbol of stars onto it as a decoration and the colors of stars shows that many different cultures in Malaysia from different races. Then, I positioned a birthday cake at between the 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' words. This is because nowadays people celebrate birthday with a birthday cake.





In assignment 3 of computer graphics, I've chosen the below picture as my reference brithday card. It contains the Chinese culture which is the dragon that bring good luck. Besides, I like the style of this picture. Actually, I'm quite interested in the paper art.




These are the pictures that I found from website are my references of the birthday card:


This is the red eggs that normally Chinese people will do it when a happy situation. Its bring good luck and show the happiness of them of who make it.



This is the picture of the Longevity Noodles which is call the 'zhang shou mian'. It normally is for the older people. The main purpose is to bring the logevity for those older people. You can see it from the below picture which what the old grandma is having.





However, this already one of the culture of Chinese. We as a chinese normally use the PEACH blossom as a symbols of happiness and it bring good luck too.



But nowadays, people just celebrate it by adding on a birthday cake.



Besides, Chinese also give red package to the host of the events. For example, my parent will give a red packet to show their sincerity.



Moreover, the below picture, we can see it and it is a paper art work. This is the traditional art work that came from China. Chinese like to put those paper art work in their house if there are events. It convey lots of meaning.





Short Description of how people celebrate brithday:

Normally, I seldom celebrate for my own birthday because since I was still young, my parent seldom celebrate birthdays except for my grandparents. However, I do a few survey in the website. We celebrate birthday just like peoples in other country but traditionally , we do something like pray so that god bless the birthday person . there are no special customs . there also no different for male and female but for now , we celebrate birthdays with a party , dinner n such thing .
there are no food traditions ! we just eat cakes and food just like other people .

By right, Chinese people celebrate birthday which full of red colors food like red eggs, reg color dulls and lots more. Some of them send a gift and some of them might just give a pack of red packet which people call 'HONG PAO'. Normally, this red packet will be send out when there is happy situations like marriage, birthday, Chinese New Year and lots more. Besides, I also did a few research about how other races celebrate their birthday.

Here is a list of different continents, countries and cultures and their own unique birthday traditions:

Nigerian Birthday Traditions - In Nigeria the 1st, 5th, 10th and 15th birthdays are considered extremely special events. On these birthdays they have huge parties which have up to 100 guests or more. On their birthdays they have a feast consisting of an entire roasted cow or goat. They also serve a dish called "jollof rice" which is rice with tomatoes, red peppers, and onions plus cassava which is similar to sweet potato.

Sudananese Birthday Traditions - In Sudan the children who live in the cities celebrate their birthday whereas in the country they don't. Children will usually drink a red punch that is called "karkady" (this is made from hibiscus flowers).

Asia
Chinese Birthday Traditions - When a Chinese child turns one year old, it is a very important event. The parents might tell the baby's fortune by placing the baby in the center of a group of objects (such as coins, a doll, a book, etc.) and they wait to see which object the baby picks up. If the baby picked up a coin, he/she may be rich, if the baby reached for a book he/she may become a teacher, if the baby reached for the doll he/she may have many children, etc. The sixth birthday is also a special birthday for the Chinese. For the party itself, friends and relatives are invited for lunch and extra-long noodles are served to wish the birthday child a long life.

In China, it is considered unlucky to give someone a clock for a birthday present (in Mandarin, the word for "clock" is similar to death). On the other hand people believe that tigers protect children and so family members might bring newborns special gifts decorated with tigers.

Indian Birthday Traditions - On a Hindu child's first birthday, his or her head is shaved while being held by a special fire. Removal of the hair cleanses the child of any evil in past lives, symbolizing a renewal of the soul.

Usually on the day of the birthday, the child will wear very colorful clothing to school and will pass out chocolates to the entire class. The child will also kneel and touch their parents' feet as a sign of respect. They then all visit a shrine, where they pray and the child is blessed.

In the afternoon there might be a meal that includes a spicy vegetable stew called curry and chutney which is a spicy fruit relish. The dessert is a treat known as "dudh pakh", which is rice like pudding (they might also stir in pistachios, almonds, raisins, and a spice called cardamon).

Japanese Birthday Traditions - Certain birthdays in Japan are more important than others (the 3rd, 5th, and 7th). During these special birthdays, Japanese children participate in the upcoming Shichi-go-san Festival (meaning the "Seven-Five-Three" Festival), celebrated annually on November 15. During this festival, children and their families visit a shrine or other place of worship and will give thanks to God for their health and strength, and ask to be blessed with continued well-being in the future and a long life (this is due to the fact that a long time ago children died before their 3rd, 5th or 7th birthdays). For this occasion, girls and boys always dress in their finest clothes, which may be traditional kimonos or also western-style clothing.

Korean Birthday Traditions - In Korea, on the 100th day (which is called a "paegil") after a child's birth, a small feast is usually held to celebrate the child having survived this period. The family, relatives, and friends celebrate with rice cakes, wine, and other delicacies such as red and black bean cakes sweetened with sugar or honey. It is believed that if the rice cakes are shared with 100 people the child will have a long life and therefore rice cakes are usually sent to as many people as possible to help share the happiness of the occasion. Those receiving the rice cakes do not return the serving vessels empty, but with skeins of thread expressing the hope of longevity, and with rice and money symbolizing future wealth. The red and black bean cakes are believed to bring the child luck and happiness and are placed at the four compass points within the house.

Malaysian Birthday Traditions - Friends or relatives who visit, give presents to the person celebrating their birthday or they may give an "ang-bao" which is a small red packet filled with money. At about 16, when teenagers start to invite boys and girls to their parties, there is lots of dancing and games to help find a partner (the trick is to always have the same numbers of boys and girls!).


Europe

German Birthday Traditions - On a child's birthday the dining table or kitchen will have a special wooden birthday wreath placed on it. The wreath contains small holes for candles and a holder in the center for the life-candle (this is a taller candle and is beautifully decorated). This candle is lit each year of a child's birthday until they reach the age of twelve. Usually on the day of the child's birthday, a member of the birthday person's family wakes up at sunrise and lights the candles on the birthday cake to be lit all day long.

In Germany, when men reach the age of 30 and they still don't have a girlfriend, they have to sweep the stairs of the city hall. All their friends will throw rubble on the stairs and even when you're finished they'll throw some more rubble. This way every girl can see that this man reached the age of 30 and still doesn't have a girlfriend (and that he can clean a house very well!).

Dutch Birthday Traditions - In Holland, special year birthdays such as 5, 10, 15, 20, and 21 are called "crown" years. The birthday child usually receives an especially large gift on a crown year birthday. The family also decorates the birthday child's chair at the dining room table with seasonal flowers, paper streamers, paper flowers and balloons. Children will eat pancakes sprinkled with powdered sugar and taarties (tarts made with different kinds of fillings) which is served with lemonade or hot chocolate.

To receive a birthday present wrapped in black and white is considered bad luck.

Irish Birthday Traditions - A tradition in Ireland is to lift the birthday child upside down and have them be gently "bumped" on the floor for good luck. The number of bumps given is the age of the child plus one for extra good luck.

Middle East
Israeli Birthday Traditions - In Israel the child whose birthday it is usually wears a crown made from leaves or flowers and sits in a chair decorated in streamers. Guests dance around the chair singing and may also raise and lower it a number of times, corresponding to the child's age (plus one for good luck).

The thirteenth birthday for a boy is when he celebrates his Bar Mitzvah, and the twelfth birthday for a girl is when she celebrates her Bat Mitzvah. Each child has to prepare for this service for many months or even years ahead of time. On this day they must now obey the Jewish laws as an adult and behave responsibly.

Muslim Communities' Birthday Traditions - In Muslim cultures, people thank God (Allah) following the birth of a child by giving gifts to the poor. After the child is a week old, its head is shaved and then the family donates an amount of silver equal too, and often more than, the weight of the child's hair. Following this ritual, family and friends come together for a feast and a naming ceremony.

The above information is from this link : coolest-kid-birthday-parties.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment